Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Coast of Carolina...

As yet another year has passes me by, I just had my 28th birthday in June, I find myself reflecting quite a bit; thinking about where I've come from, where I've been, where I want to be in a few short years and what the future holds. As I sit here on my living room couch, with the cool breeze (yes you heard me right, I said cool breeze and it's August in North Carolina, can I get an alleluia!?) blowing upon my face, through the open windows, I must say looking back and looking ahead I can do nothing but smile. I never imagined I would be this happy at the young age of 28. Summer of course always makes me happy. I don't know if I have always loved summer because my birthday was in the summer or if I loved it simply because it is such a warm, care-free season, full of vacations and fun with friends and family every year. As a young child summer was always something to look forward to, first of all because school was out, but more so because it meant summer softball league, going to the Rec pool with friends, going to Buhl Club dances, playing hide and go seek in the yard, catching fireflies and putting them in a jar to light up your room, only to realize that you did not shut the jar tightly enough and now they are crawling on your mother's curtains and she is freaking and the most exciting reason, going to our camp in the Allegheny Mountains with my whole family. That is one thing I always looked forward to and looking back something I will always miss now that my family is dispersed all over this country and everyone's responsibilities have taken over, and we no longer get together there anymore. It's sad to me that that tradition has been lost, but in retrospect, the memories I made there long ago as a child will forever be in my heart and looking back at them I cannot help but smile.



Ah yes, summer. Summer means an array of things now as an adult, although it still means summer softball (yes I still play!). It also means summer volleyball for Wes and I, beaching and boating with friends, inviting visitors to come enjoy our town, cook-outs, camping trips, canoeing trips, traveling to as many baseball games as we can, walking the loop, walks on the beach and just enjoying the warm weather and sticky evenings in this Coastal Carolina town. I often find myself thanking God repeatedly when walking at the beach. I look out over the vast waters and think to myself how absolutely amazing that this body of water exists and I thank God for sharing it with me and for the sunshine on my face and for the breath in my lungs. Ah, yes Summer, it makes me so very happy. Just a breath of salt air and all my worries flutter away. Wilmington is now home to us, after 5 years of amazing memories and significant changes in our lives, we now call this town home and I couldn't think of another city I would want to spend my summers in.

No comments: