Monday, October 6, 2008

The innocence of children

As most of you know I volunteer in our children's ministry called Grow Zone every weekend at church. I can honestly say that if I miss a Sunday I truly miss being there. The babies that I have in my room each week are just so innocent and love you unconditionally. There is nothing better than having a baby fall alseep in your arms. Anyway, this past Sunday was no different. I volunteered at the 10:30 service where I have been graciously upgraded to a "coach" which basically means that the girls I work with think that I am easy to approach and they've put me in charge of a few volunteers to help our program function better. I was quite honored to be asked to do this. Anyway, I volunteered and fulfilled my duties volunteering at 10:30 and just loved on all those babies. Then Wes met me to go to the 12:30 service. We were sitting behind a couple and their daughter who appeared to be maybe 5 or 6, yet very well behaved. She sat in between her parents with her pink purse, her Shamu stuffed animal and her package of bubble gum. She was quite attentive and quiet. I was impressed. Good parents I thought, their child is quiet in church, quite a feat! So as the service progressed and as I am an expectant mom, I of course was observing the little girl and her interactions with her parents, coming to the realization that some day that will be me, although my kid will probably be running up and down the aisle. Gosh , I hope not. So then we begin the offering and as I'm singing and observing I see the little girl get her purse out and reach inside. She then took out one quarter and placed it in the offering basket. She proceeded to beam as she looked at her Dad for confirmation. "That was nice." I believe he said to her. I about lost it, tears running down my cheeks. For that little girl to give a whole quarter had to be hard, but she did and she did it with such happiness. Aww, if I could only be 5 again where life was so easy and decisions came so quickly. It was such a great testament of good parenting and the instinctual innocence and kindness of children. After leaving church I heard a song by David Crowder and I believe it is entitled "What a Glorious Day" and what a glorious day yesterday was. I spent the rest of the day with Wes, not doing much, but with him nonetheless. That's always my favorite way to spend any day, with my husband.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Aww, cute story. Don't you wish that we, as adults, could give to God so unhesitantly and honestly? Something to strive for!