Friday, January 8, 2010

Dear breastpump,

I am so sick of you. You are a pain in my arse, literally. I am sick of carrying you up two flights of steps every morning to my office and back down every afternoon to my car. I'm sick of lugging you in and out of the house morning and night. I'm sick of cleaning you, I'm sick of looking at you because although Medela insists that you are enclosed in a stylish, sleek bag you are enclosed in a ugly pleather bag that couldn't be less stylish. I'm sick of using you. Although, I am still very grateful for you because without you I couldn't provide the insane amount of milk to my sweet little girl at home.
Love, Kristen

I was thinking this morning and my brain actually started working like my husband's for once and I started computing how many ounces of milk I have pumped with this breast pump. It is amazing and exhausting to think about. After computing, I came to realize that I pump four times a day, five days a week and get approximately 6 ounces every time I pump and I have been doing this since I came back to work around the end of July. So that means that in the last 8 months I have pumped approximately 2,900 ounces of milk for Airlie Mae. That is crazy and although I am really sick and tired of this pump and I will be so excited that I don't have to carry it in and out of work everyday I think I will be sad once this season of Airlie's life is over and she no longer needs me to provide for her in this way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on breastfeeding for 8 months! That's wonderful! And I completely understand the resentment of the breastpump.

Hang in there! You're doing great!